WordPress comes with a built-in search feature, it is not very good because this works well if visitors have an idea of the content you provide. However, it lacks that special something when people are looking for relevant content to a word or phrase. This is a big problem for any WordPress blogger, because people are used to finding things by searching.
Fortunately, there is an ideal solution – Google itself. Arguably there is no better search engine than the one built by Google. And, they allow you to quickly create a custom version for use on your own web site. In this article we want to show you how to integrate it into your WordPress site.
Using a Plugin for Google Search
The bad news is that creating your own custom search engine and integrating it with your site is somewhat complicated. The good news is that some plugins will do all of the hard work for you.
One of the easiest ways to implement Google search into the website is by using plugins. Perhaps one of the best plugins to use is WP Google Search. It takes a lot of the work out of setting up the experience for your users and is easy to install and activate.
However, there are a few things you need before any of the search plugins will work. These include:
- Setting up a Custom Search Engine at Google
- Copying the CSE ID from Google to the WordPress Plugin
- Creating a specific page in WordPress to act as your “Results Page”
- Using a widget for searching, which should be used to replace the default search bar for WordPress
- Aiming the results to reflect your results page URL
Our colleagues from WPbeginner prepared a more detailed lesson regarding this. If you think you can not do this we recommend you follow their tutorial that explains step by step what you must to do to add Google Search with WP Google Search.
Using the Code Directly From Google
In fact, Google will give you the code you need. This means you can implement this service with a simple copy and paste. This is the second method.
- Firstly you must create a new search engine at Google CSE
- After making your custom changes, click the button to “Get Code” from the setup screen
- Copy the entire bulk of code Google provides
- Go to your WordPress dashboard and into “Appearance”
- Click on “Widgets”
- Drag a new “Text” widget to where you want to display the search field – this is usually placed in the Sidebar Right area
- Paste the code into the text field and name the widget, “Search”
- Save the widget
This is an easy way to incorporate Google search into your website. However, it doesn’t show the results on your actual site.
Now you should be all set to let your visitors search your site using Google search. . With the incredible level of customization, you can deliver a unique experience to those who use the system. Take your site further by offering a search platform that is both engaging and highly accurate.